Saturday, February 27, 2010

Long Day

The island of Au'nuu off of Tutuila

Yesterday was a good but long day with a total of four dives and about 10 miles of transit. It was fun however because I'm starting to take on different dive roles. For the first dive, I was a safety standby diver for the Oceanography Team while they moved an instrument anchor. I was able to watch them use the a liftbag to move a 250 pound anchor. It had moved about 100 feet either due to the tsunami or to boats using the instrument as a mooring site. My real role would have been to go down and retrieve one of the working divers in case something went very wrong. It is always a good thing when you're a bored safety diver. The 2nd and 3rd dives were collecting calibration data along a transect. Exactly the same method that I've been doing for the past month, but this time I was also taking site pictures for historical documentation. There was also another person in the water collecting the same data that I was for comparison between the two of us. The 4th dive I was helping collect diseased coral samples for an on-going cellular research project. The collection work really wasn't difficult but it kept the day interesting to be changing between roles.

Today will thankfully be a bit shorter with only 2 dives planned. I have to go for now, I hear the crane starting for our small boat.
Take care and talk soon,
Cristi

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you're starting to get to do many different things. It certainly helps to stave off boredom and to see the many different aspects of the program.

    ReplyDelete